Wednesday 30 January 2013

Keeping Warm and Reflection

A while back I did make myself a No-Sew Poncho out of two fleece blankets that I purchased for almost nothing at all (see the Baby Wearing Poncho blog entry). A friend of mine asked for me to also make her one, only without the baby head opening and was thrilled to bits when I was done. However, you see, she has two daughters around the age that my boys are. And they also really loved Mum's new poncho. So guess who turned up with a few yards of fleece and asked if I minded letting the scissors dance one more time?

The older girl is already my height and stature, so I took almost the same measurements for the fleece rectangles as I used myself (2 pieces, one piece 1m x 0,7m) but I am really wondering if the one for the smaller girl fits as well. She's about 1,30 so I shortened the fleece rectangles to 0,8m x 0,5m.




And as the evening was quiet and peaceful, and my darling husband was watching TV, I eventually tackled a really mini project that has been waiting patiently since at least 6 weeks:

Whilst bringing Son #2 to school in the morning, I noticed that our pram for Little Miss Madam is not really seen by passing cars. Not soooo bad, as the school bag has some reflecting parts and Son #2 always wears a reflecting cover over his jacket (on school orders, the kids were all handed out one at the beginning of autumn), but on the way back and on rainy days I had to be especially careful. There are some reflecting ornaments near the handle of the pram, but nothing that is that noticeable.

So 6 weeks ago I bought some self-adhesive reflection material from the local fabric store and some popper buttons and since then, nothing much has happened.

Last evening I went through the old clothes that I normally bring to the old clothes containers, just to see if there was anything worth recycling and found and old body warmer, which had a nylon cover on the top side. There it was, the material I needed, and time to sew, so no excuses anymore.

I measured around the parts that I wanted to attach the material to, added 4 cms to the length and width for the nylon rectangles and attached the popper buttons. Then the reflecting material was cut to size and stuck on. Viola, the result:



The test run today was a great success! It really does make a difference!

0 comments:

Post a Comment